Archive Section

The Locomotive & Carriage Institution
Home Centenary 2011 Continental Visits Lectures Newsletters History Visits Pictorial Visits Narrative Seminars
55 Broadway

District Room Art Work - London Transport Decade by Decade

This is a record of the pictures around the wall of the District Room , showing London Transport decade-by-decade.

1910-1920

Showing what appears to be District Railway ‘B’ Stock, the original Bakerloo Line Oxford Circus station building, designed by Leslie Green and a London General Omnibus Company B-type bus.

1920-1930

Showing Underground Group G Class Stock,  a typical modernist Charles Holden designed station of the period - possibly Morden (now unfortunately with an office building over the top) and what appears to be ST type bus first introduced in 1930

THIS PAGE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND IS NOT COMPLETE

1930-1940

1938 tube stock, designed by William Graff-Baker, past president of the Institution, the Felix Lander designed Park Royal station which opened in March 1936 and a Leyland CR (Cub) bus in Country area colours

1970-1980

Piccadilly Line 1973 Stock, the updated ticket hall at Charing Cross, the then southern terminal of the Jubilee Line and a Damiler Fleetliner bus.

1980 - 1990

The rather unsuccessful 1983 stock built for the  new Jubilee Line, the updated entrance to Tower Hill station and what appears to be a MCW Metrobus bus outside the Tower of London.

1940-1950

District Line R Stock, the first trains on the Underground in unpainted aluminium, a post war station, possibly West Acton which was designed by the Great Western Railway architect Brian Lewis and completed in November 1940. A RT (Regent Three) bus approaches the bus stop.

1950-1960

Central Line 1962 stock, Stockwell bus garage, which when it opened in 1952, had the largest unsupported roof span of any building in Europe and a iconic Routemaster bus.

1960-1970

Victoria Line 1967 stock, which were the first trains to use Automatic Train Operation, Blackhorse Road on the Victoria Line, complete with fibreglass relief of a black stallion.  The station was designed in-house by the London Transport Design panel  which included architect Kenneth Seymour and Misha Black. An AEC Swift bus pulls up outside.

The final Locomotive & Carriage Institution Committee meeting held in the District Room

© Nick Agnew

Most Locomotive & Carriage Institution Committee meetings and some lectures were held in the District Room , on the 7th Floor.

One memorable lecture held in this room was by Christopher Garnett of GNER who had just completed a marathon season to complete the bid to extend the East Coast Mainline franchise.  Despite being obviously completely shattered by working long hours during the  bidding process, he kept his appointment to talk to the Institution.

The District Room

The Boardroom

The majority of the Institution lectures were held in the Boardroom on the 7th Floor


Boardroom Art Work

This is a record of the pictures around the wall of the Boardroom

A

B

Photos © Tom Chaffin, accept were shown otherwise

CLICK ON IMAGES FOR AN ENLARGEMENT

Members enjoying the last Locomotive & Carriage Institution meeting held in 55 Broadway, on Direct Rail Services

© Nick Agnew

Our President, Nick Agnew (next to the flipchart) says farewell to 55 Broadway.

Note picture of Frank Pick to the left of Nick

Directional sign from Blackfriars Underground station with four flight  “Mexican arrow”, fully lined-out roundel in Johnson typeface, circa 1930

An oil painting of Albert Henry Stanley, 1st Baron Ashfield, Chairman of the  Underground Electric Railways Company of London and then London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) from 1933 to 1947.